40 New Social Media Resources You May Have Missed
Merry early Christmas from the Mashable team! — wait, did you get your shopping done? The weeks before Christmas are notable for the beautiful store displays and the harried men and women desperately trying to buy that last perfect present; or any present at all.
If you’ve been part of that crush, or just need a social media refresher, we’ve got a round up of tools and resources from the past week or so.
The social media section can show you some creative Facebook () profile hacks or why health experts are hopping online. Tech & mobile is jam packed with gadget guides, children’s books on the iPad, and 10 top movies for the modern geek. Business has tips on starting a coworking space and the best apps for a mobile office.
Looking for even more social media resources? This guide appears every weekend, and you can check out all the lists-gone-by here any time.
- HOW TO: Use Twitter’s Advanced Search [VIDEO]
Twitter’s advanced search functionality is a great way to find very specific real-time information. This screencast will show you how.
- Why More Health Experts Are Embracing the Social Web
While many professional services have moved online, health care has been cautious, despite the overwhelming demand for trusted information. Here’s why that may soon change.
- 10 Creative Uses of the New Facebook Profile [PICS]
Facebook users are showing off their creativity by taking advantage of the new profile page photo layout. Check out these excellent examples.
- Who Will Win the Mashable Awards? [INFOGRAPHIC]
We’ve broken down a complete list of the finalists by category in one handy (and unicorn filled!) infographic. Make sure you get voting before it’s too late!
- Eclectic Method Mashes Up the Mashable Awards [VIDEO]
Remix masters Eclectic Method have put together a video mashup of what Mashable Awards attendees can expect at the event on January 6 in Las Vegas.
- 5 Ways Cities Are Using Social Media to Reverse Economic Downturn
The economic downturn has forced cities and states across the country to be more creative as they compete to attract companies and stimulate local economies. Here’s how social media is helping.
- 10 Free Online Resources for Science Teachers
These free tools can help teachers demonstrate abstract scientific concepts in ways a text book never could.
- How Twitter Users Changed in 2010 [CHARTS]
We take a look at how the demographic of Twitter users changed over the past year.
- 75+ Ways to Do Good With Social Media
If you’re interested in doing good this holiday season, have a look through our collection of Social Good resources, from infographics to campaigns to social good champions to tips and case studies.
- The Angry Birds Finally Get Some Help [COMIC]
All this anger can’t be healthy for our pudgy, wingless little friends.
- The Holiday Survival Guide for Social Media Professionals
Whether you’re a community manager, blogger or a fellow social media addict, here are a few suggestions to help you survive the disconnection season.
- Sports and Social Media: Why the Best Is Yet to Come
The sports startup space is littered with retread concepts that have little chance of succeeding. Here’s a look at why that is, and what may be in store for the future.
Tech & Mobile
- 5 Classy Speaker Docks to Boost Your iPad’s Audio
Whether you want to boost your iPad’s audio for music, movies or gaming, we’ve got five docks that offer different functionality and suit different budgets.
- 6 Great Gloves for Touchscreen Gadget Lovers
If the weather outside is frightful, check out these clever gloves that help your hands stay warm while you type, tweet and text on your touchscreen.
- 10 Customizable Holiday Gifts for Your Tech-Savvy Office
To make the corporate gift-giving process a bit simpler, we’ve selected ten customizable items for your business’s clients, customers, suppliers and employees.
- 5 Classic Children’s Tales Reinvented for the iPad
After a somewhat exhaustive search, we’ve compiled a list of what we believe are the five best classic children’s books available for the iPad.
- “Best Mobile App” Finalists Discuss Inspiration and the Future [INTERVIEWS]
What makes for a great mobile app? We spoke to the Mashable Awards’ “Best Mobile App” finalists for the inside scoop.
- So You Got an iPad This Holiday Season: Now What?
Here’s our guide to what to read, download and explore with the iPad.
- Top 10 Movies for the Modern Tech Geek
We set out to make a list that represents the current landscape of the film industry and technology.
- So You Got an Android Device This Holiday Season: Now What?
Here’s a concise list of the Android () apps and accessories that we couldn’t live without.
- Linking the Real World to the Web: 3 Emerging Technologies Compared
Three technologies are connecting real-world objects to the Internet (): QR codes; near field communication; and visual recognition software. Here’s a look at the pros and cons of each.
- So You Got an Amazon Kindle This Holiday Season: Now What?
Are you the recent recipient of everyone’s favorite little e-reader? Here’s how to make the most of Amazon’s 3rd generation Kindle right out of the box.
- Hacker Web Design: Words of Wisdom for Building Great Apps
David Kadavy’s upcoming book concerns a topic of great interest to us and to many of our developer and entrepreneur friends: design for hackers.
- Why Your Smartphone Will Replace Your Wallet
Credit card companies, mobile phone carriers, and startups are all invested in mobile contactless payments and NFC. But exactly how the digital wallet will become mainstream is still up in the air.
- 20+ Online Resources for Planning a Winter Getaway
Whether you’re planning to hit the slopes, trails, or a warm weather spot this winter, these web resources can help you find the best deals and destinations.
- So You Got an iPod Touch This Holiday Season: Now What?
We’ve compiled a list of five must-have accessories and five must-download apps so you can get rolling with your iPod touch right out of the box.
- 8 Tools For Easily Creating a Mobile Version of Your Website
The mobile web is burgeoning. Check out these resources for getting your business site into the palm of your customers’ hands.
- 5 Great Gadgets for Reinventing Your Road Trips
We’ve picked five fantastic gadgets that will help you get the most out of your time in the car.
- How Connected Devices and Consoles Compare [INFOGRAPHIC]
As 2010 draws to a close, we’re finally starting to see new and improved connected devices for bringing streaming content to the living room hit the market.
- The State of the iOS App Store [INFOGRAPHIC]
The people over at App of the Day have crunched the numbers and, using data available from Apple and other sources, broken down the iOS app landscape.
- So You Got a Laptop This Holiday Season: Now What?
Lucky You. Someone was generous enough to give you a shiny new laptop, maybe even that swanky HP Envy 14 we were raving about. Here’s how to get started.
- How the iPad Changed 2010
The iPad has reshaped more than just the device market: From web design to content consumption, we’re seeing the iPad change the world in unexpected ways.
- What Does Web Design Say About Your Small Business?
We spoke to some professional web designers about their favorite small business websites. They explained why these sites make sense for each company and why the design is an asset.
- 7 Tips for Starting a Coworking Space
If you’re planning to invest in a coworking space, a good place to start is asking veterans for their advice. We’ve taken the liberty of starting this process for you.
- 4 Top Employers for Social Media Professionals
If you’re a social media-savvy professional, look no further than these four great companies. Their workplaces are known for fostering innovative social engagement.
- 6 Essential Android Apps for Business Travel
If you own an Android smartphone, you can make your life a lot easier with apps that enhance your business productivity while you’re on the go.
- 5 New Online Services Perfect for Small Businesses
While you’ve likely never heard of the startups listed here, each is gaining traction from early adopter audiences and is building consumer-facing products easily applied to common small business tasks.
- HOW TO: Optimize Your LinkedIn Profile
After you’ve covered the basics, features like recommendations, applications, LinkedIn Answers, and the Resume Builder can add value to your profile.
- 5 Predictions for Game Mechanics in 2011
2011 promises to truly be the year when game mechanics take over. Here’s a look at what may be in store for game-powered enterprises.